“Quick & Easy Cookies” by Myra Street
½ cup butter
6 tbsp. sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. apple pie spice
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 cup currants
1/3 cup mixed candied peel
sugar to dredge
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease several baking sheets.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and creamy. Gradually beat in the egg.
- Sift in flour, cinnamon and apple pie spice. Add the currants and peel, then mix to make a firm dough and knead lightly.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick. Cut out circles with a 4” fluted cutter and place on the baking sheets. Knead and re-roll trimmings to cut out more circles until all the dough is used up.
- Bake for 15 minutes or lightly browned. Dredge with sugar and transfer to a wire rack to cool.