“Raisin and Nut Scones”
– “Victoria Pleasures of Tea” by Kim Waller and Nancy Lindemeyer
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
1/4 cup half-and-half
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup chopped mixed nuts
1/4 cup dark raisins
1. Butter a baking sheet. Sift the flour, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl.
Add the butter and blend until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. In a small
bowl, beat together the half-and-half and eggs. Stir the egg mixture into the flour
mixture until just combined. Add the nuts and raisins and stir until a dough forms.
2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat the dough into a
1/3-inch thick rounds. Arrange the roads 2 ” apart on the prepared baking sheet.
Let stand for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Bake the scones for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly golden.
Makes: 12 scones.