“Iranian Chicken with Saffron”
“Culinary Guide to Herbs, Spices and Flavorings”
By Arabella Boxer, Jocasta Innes, Charlotte Parry-Crooke, Lewis Esson
3-1/2 fresh chicken, joined into 8
Freshly ground black pepper
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 oz. Butter
1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 pint water
1 teaspoon saffron strands
Juice of 1 large lemon
Peel of 1 tangerine, blanched and finely shredded
4 carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick lengths
1 Tablespoon demerara sugar
5 tangerine, peeled and segmented
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
1. Pat the chicken pieces dry with absorbent paper and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a flameproof casserole, add the chicken pieces and fry over moderate hat for 5-6 minutes, turning once. Remove the chicken.
3. Add the onion and garlic to the casserole and fry over a gentle heat for 5 minutes until soft and lightly colored. Return the chicken to the pan and add the water, saffron, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add the tangerine peel, carrots and sugar to the casserole. Cover and simmer for a further 30 minutes, or until the chicken and carrots are tender.
5. Add the tangerine segments to the stew and simmer, uncovered for a further 10 minutes.
6. Transfer the chicken to a heated platter and serve.