Victoria – “The Pleasures of Tea by Kim Waller & Nancy Lindemeyer
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
1/3 cup shelled and peeled pistachios, lightly toasted and coarsely ground
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon rose water
2 tablespoons thinly sliced pesticide-free rose petals
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon rose jelly, or 1 tablespoon red currant jelly mixed with 1/2 teaspoon rose water
2 to 3 teaspoons water
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly butter a baking sheet.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together into a large bowl. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in the pistachios.
3. In a small bowl, combine the cream, rose water, and rose petals. Add to the flour mixture and stir to form a soft dough.
4. Place the dough in heaping tablespoonfuls about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the scones are golden brown. Transfer the scones to a wire rack set over a jelly-roll pan.
5. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, jelly, and water if needed. Drizzle the icing over the warm scones. Serve immediately.
Makes about 24 scones
***Inspired music by “Oleta Adams” – “Another day has come and gone” & “Don’t Explain” (“Let’s Stay Here – Album)