Missed out blogging on Valentine’s Day, out with sweetie to a movie date. I am sure many of you were out for dinner with that special loved one.
Sorry if the font is screwed on this one. Many times over, copying this recipe won’t correct the issue. Anyhow, these go great with tea or coffee, enjoy.
“Chocolate Coconut Layers”
Cookbook: “Cookies and Bars” – “Paragon Publishing”
Scant 6 tbsp. Unsalted butter or margarine, plus extra for greasing
8 oz. Chocolate graham crackers
7 fl. oz. Canned evaporated milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 tbsp. Superfine sugar
Scant 1/2 cup self-rising flour, sifted
Scant 1-1/3 cups dry unsweetened coconut
1-3/4 squares semisweet chocolate (optional)
(tsp. – teaspoon) (tbsp. – tablespoon)
– Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a shallow 8-inch square cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
– Crush the crackers in a plastic bag with a rolling pin or process them in a food processor. Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the crushed crackers thoroughly. Remove from the heat and press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared cake pan.
– In a separate bowl, beat together the evaporated milk, egg, vanilla, and sugar until smooth. Stir in the flour and grated coconut. Pour over the cracker layer and use a spatula to smooth the top.
– Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the coconut topping has become firm and just golden. Remove from the oven and let cool in the cake pan For about 5 minutes, then cut into squares. Let cool completely in the pan.
– Carefully remove the squares from the pan and place them on a cutting board. Melt the semisweet chocolate (if using) and drizzle it over the squares from the pan and place them on a cutting board. Melt the semi-sweet chocolate (if using) and drizzle it over the squares to decorate them. Let the chocolate set before serving. -Makes 9-